GA

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Feast - Traditional English Cuisine in Houston, Texas


Heart Rate: YYYYY

UPDATE: Took my mother to FEAST after Good Friday Mass. Learned that FEAST is a 2009 semi-finalist for James Beard's Best New Restaurants. They were also covered by the NY Times.

My friend and co-worker had a traditional work anniversary lunch at Feast.

Self-described as "Rustic European Fare", I think most would us would recognize it as British food.

Now, I know most of you have heard that British food is sub-standard. To this I say, "not true!"

In fact, I think I would go as far to say that this was possibly one of the best meals that I have eaten in Houston.

However, a word of caution: a lesser foodie may be daunted by the menu. Purviewing it is not for the faint of heart. There are some rather extraordinary dishes ranging from oxtail to kidney pie, cheek and haggis.

But, before fear set in, logic prevailed: no man in their right mind would sell such awful sounding dishes unless they actually tasted good.

I am so glad that I pushed on.

What a gastronomic delight! It was lovely.

While I ordered a paper-wrapped fish (the name escapes me at the moment) with couscous and stewed tomatoes along with a side of bubble and squeak. The rest of the party ordered braised pork and fish and scallop pie.

May I say that I never thought stewed tomatoes could be so good? And the fish was amazing--very flavorful and rich with pungent, lemony tastes. I was excited about the bubble and squeak: I was not disappointed with its lovely combination of smooth mashed potatoes and crunchy bits.

The pork dish was at that top of every one's hit list--even though we all commented upon how thick and chewy the crust was, it stopped none of us from savoring it. The fish pie was equally as delicious, coming to the table bubbling over the top of its own ramekan.

For a bit of dessert, I ordered the whiskey prunes. Gaah! It was a tad strong and being a non-alcohol kind of gal, I would have liked a bit more of it burned off. That said, my friend's sticky toffee pudding looked divine--let's just say I have plans to return after Lent.

Overall the dining experience was fun and full of adventure. We got to meet two of the three owners: the husband and wife team of James and Meagan Silk. Such personalized service made me feel quite at home.

The ambience is perfect: set in lower Montrose near Mark's and Michaelangelo's it is in a sturdy, New Orleans-style house. Filled with planked floors, a traditional British hearth and dark moldings, you could very well be in London Town.

I would highly recommend that you make a visit and bring an open mind.

Prices range from medium to high.

http://feasthouston.googlepages.com/home

219 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX 77006 713-529-7788

No comments:

Post a Comment